[ODE] Distance between two objects

Pierre Terdiman pierre.terdiman at novodex.com
Wed Apr 21 09:57:44 MST 2004

> Interesting! Why is it un-public? :-)

At first I was using Solid 2.0 to compute intermediate distances against
boxes (nodes of the trees). So I thought it was probably not ok (read :
legal) to release it (especially since it was a completely hacked / modified
/ optimized version of Solid).

Then I replaced it with a new box-box distance routine of mine, removing
Solid. But as you know I'm now working for Novodex, and releasing new Opcode
versions is... more difficult than before :)

There are also some minor design issues to fix : the remaining parts of
Opcode (distance queries + a lot of other things actually) are tightly
coupled to some other libs of mine, and it's getting difficult to "just"
release Opcode.

> What method are you using to know which log(N) triangles to compare
against
> which log(M) triangles? In the native traversal, to get the minimum
> distance, you need to turn "collision" (which can be "greedy" or "locally
> optimizing") into "minimum of all"; turning off the greedy part of the
> traversal is what turns log(N) into N/2.

Maybe my big-O view of this part is wrong, I'd have to check the code again
(maybe you're actually right and it's N/2). I use the same approach as PQP.

The result is quite slow.

- Pierre