[ODE] 4 Wheeled vehical Steering Problem

smythst smythst at tcd.ie
Tue Sep 30 18:48:47 MST 2003

>===== Original Message From "Martin C. Martin" <martin at metahuman.org> =====
>smythst wrote:
>
>> Right, I just can't get my car sim to work with 2 front steerable wheels.
>
>Do you have infinite friction between the wheels and the ground?  Four
>contact points is an over constrained system, so the wheels need to be
>able to slip.  Try a mu of 1.
>
>Do you have Ackerman steering?
>
>Can you describe the problem in more detail?  "It just doesn't work"
>isn't very helpful.  I'm tempted to say "increase your stack size."
>
>- Martin

Yes, you were spot on. I had the mu in my nearCallback function as dInfinity
and mu2 as 0. The car now steers, but the sim goes nuts when I do after a few
seconds? First the car starts sliding around as if on ice, then topples over,
and the sim explodes. Could it be the CFM value perhaps?

Are there any more detailed explanations of the mu values for collisions in
the Wiki area, the documentation doesn't say much.

Thanks again Martin.