[ODE] Trimeshes "on-the-fly"

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Thu Sep 25 17:16:52 MST 2003

> Hello everyone,
> Do you think it is possible to generate trimeshes on-the-fly for a
> real-time application ? Assuming my engine determines all triangle-strips
> within a certain range around my object, I want to convert this
> triangle-strips in every frame into a trimesh and check against the object
> (don´t ask why, I have no other posibility ;-| )
I was thinking about this to. I'm rendering a planet with LOD techniques, so
there are a lot of triangles generated and destroyed per gameloop. I'm
wondering how efficient OPCODE is under these conditions.
My own solution (I haven't tried the trimesh, yet) is to create a custom geom
class. That way I can optimise the collision detection by using the internal
data structures of the planet object.