[ODE] Suspicious suspension

Steve Yates cda1912 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 23:45:58 MST 2003

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Steve Yates wrote:
>
> > If I were to build my own suspension, how can I use more than one
> > joint to connect 2 bodies (ie chassis to wheel). Do I make a joint
> > group and attach the bodies using that?
>
>No joint groups are necessary.  In any case, you probably do not want more
>than one joint attached to the same two bodies.  That would probably just
>lock the two bodies together.
>
>Here's a buggy with double-wishbone suspension:
>http://www.natew.com/juice/images/buggy2.jpg
>
>The steering linkage looks a bit odd, but just trust me when I say that
>the 'handlebars' are connected to the bodies that are connected to the
>front wheels.
>
>Nate Waddoups

Thanks Nate, that buggy looks great! Would that kind of suspension work well
on 'rough' terrain? By that I mean in an off-road vehicle type game.

I'm quite happy with my pathetically simple car model.  It's taken a while
for me to get this far, making a terrain engine and integrating with ODE was
a big enough challenge.  But seeing that double wishbone just makes me want
to learn more :)

I haven't a clue where to start with vehicle suspension, although I have
been staring at the screenshot trying to reverse engineer your buggy!!

Have you any advice for me to get me started? (if you could give me at least
some of the source code that creates your buggy I'd be so happy).

Thanks again