[ODE] Trimesh problem?

james at 6msoft.com james at 6msoft.com
Thu Oct 9 19:08:00 MST 2003

Hi,

Right now I am feeding my world into ODE in one giant mesh (which seems to
be the fastest way), except for static objects like trees and rocks which
are part of the same geometry group. Vehicles can navigate the world
perfectly, but when they encounter a static object, like a tree, things
get a little hairy. Even at low speeds, collision with a tree usually
results in me getting stuck inside the tree, getting driven into the
ground, and so forth. Even on jagged spikes in the world I don't have
anything like this. The trees are  pretty thick too, its not like I am
trying to collide with a fence post or something. I was just wondering if
anyone else has encountered anything similar.

Should I be combining the world mesh with the static meshes or something
for ODE? Am I just going to have to put bounding boxes around areas I want
collidable? Is there some accuracy values I should be setting?

-James