[ODE] Re: Dynamic Collision Handling

Lukas Henschke henschke at 4head.de
Wed Oct 8 11:55:47 MST 2003

> I am new to Game Programming and have to develop a Physics Engine for Terrain
> Simulation. What I want to know is that how can I handle Collisions when the
> Terrain itself is Dynamic. One way I believe is to Setup a new Space for
> each frame that will contain all the Bodies currently on the Screen. But
> won't that be too Expensive For CPU.

Well it sounds expensive but perhaps you could use something like I did. My dynamic Object "scans" it´s near environment. It does this with the help of a function like "DeliverAllPolygonsNearMyPosition". Then I create a little trimesh out of this Triangles and do the ode collision detection only with this trimesh. At the moment I am doing this for every frame and the performance is ok. I´m doing this due to the lack of memory (the whole geometrie is also stored in another tree and I don´t want to hold it twice). Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Lukas Henschke