[ODE] Flywheels

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Tue Nov 18 09:18:32 MST 2003

ODE only uses a first order integrator, so quantities that are supposed
to be conserved (like angular momentum) change value pretty quickly.
ODE is designed mainly for impulsive physics, e.g. where things are
colliding and the forces are big, but only for a little while.

What forces are acting on your flywheel?  How do you spin it, brake it
and move it?  Just by applying forces, without specifying where those
forces are coming from?  Do you want to use it to estimate what a real
flywheel would do?  If so, you're probably better off writing your own
special purpose simulation.

If you want to use ODE anyway, I'd thing you'd need a much smaller
timestep, although I haven't played with it myself.  One way you can
test: try setting your timestep to 1/100th of your current timestep
(i.e. 0.00015), take 100 steps, and see if the results are similar to
what you're getting now.  Make sure you, e.g., move the flywheel over
that time.  I take it by "move the flywheel" you mean apply a force to
the axle?  Remember, if you apply a torque to the axle that's not around
it's axis, the flywheel won't move the "obvious" way.  If it does,
there's something wrong with your simulation.  :)

- Martin