[ODE] physics question!

Fig TaTam fig_tatam at hotmail.com
Fri May 30 15:38:01 2003

my physics skills are rather shaky, can you check if I calculate something
correctly?

I have a body that rotates about some point in space, with gravity field
present. I know linear and angular velocity, and I know orientation of it in
degree angles.

2 forces act upon the body: gravity and centripetal force. I need to
calculate 2 angles between the "true down" vector and "gravity+centripetal
force" vector. 1 angle represents "pitch", the other is "roll". 3rd angle is
irrelevant since it's possible to align 2 3D vectors using 2 angles.

Centripetal force = mass * velocity^2 / radius
angular_velocity  = velocity/radius
Centripetal force = mass * linear_velocity * angular_velocity

gravity vector is same as true down vector (0, 32.2*mass, 0). So Z-axis
means forward/backward

Since "mass" is same in both force vectors, I can cancel it out. Then to
find 2 component angles between vectors, I need to:

pitch_angle = arc tan( cent_force[X_AXIS] / 32.2 )
roll_angle    = arc tan( cent_force[Z_AXIS] / 32.2 )

where pitch_angle lies in Y-Z plane and roll_angle lies in Y-X plane. Is
this correct?