[ODE] Forum?

Ted Milker Ted Milker <tmilker at radiks.net>
Wed May 21 08:53:02 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 01:13:19PM +0200, amundb?rsand wrote:

> Yes, I do that too, but what I meant was to have it split up in
> different categories, so I don't have to read all the discussions I'm
> not interested in. Also, a forum is better at keeping threads separated,
> in my mail program I just get lots of mail which all belong to different
> discussions.

Then use a mailer that sorts emails via threads.  Mine has no trouble
with threading.  I keep an entire archive of the ODE mailing list in my
mailer just so that I can search it quickly and easily(and without
having to go online to do it).  I've said it before and I'll say it
again, splitting up the mailing list into sub-categories just spreads
the information out further, it sounds great on paper or in your head
but when you get down to it, newbies will ask questions in the advanced
list and duplicate questions will be asked in both.

> A third point is that if we had a forum instead, my reading
> would be "on-demand" rather than dumping into my mailbox when I'm not
> interested... :) It is a lot of mail for people who are only interested
> in parts of the discussions going on, and I guess most people are.. just
> a suggestion.

"on-demand" cuts the cloth both ways.  It also increases bandwidth
because you're more likely to use the forum based search than browser
based.  Mail is a guaranteed one time drop.  Someone would have to host
and pay for these forums you want.

Ted