[ODE] 2d physics, and possibly unrelated confusedness.

DjA djarcas at hotmail.com
Wed May 21 02:23:02 2003

Ah, that worked (pretty much) excellently, thank you very much.

However, it has thrown light on another problem - not sure if it's related.
It's certainly something to do with my creation of contact points and the
callback procedure, I'm sure. Essentially, if I have softCFM and softERP,
then the objects can intersect by quite some margin - one object is a
powered 'spaceship', and if I try, it can completely enter any other
object - if it gets far enough in, then the physics go crazy, with objects
moving at silly speeds around (and off) the screen. (My 'world' is
surrounded by planes at the screen edges, and objects just seem to get
wedged in the corners there)

I've tried making softer, bouncier contacts, but then a plane seems to act
as water - an object sinks waaaay in, then accelerates and bounces out. If I
make much harder contacts, then it seems ok - but if a small box gently
lands on top of a larger box, then the big box will wobble slightly, then
flick the little box off at great speeds. Also, if I try hard enough, I can
get it to go crazy and move at great speeds to get wedged in the corners...
again. :)

All my objects have a mass of roughly 1 unit per unit cubed. My time step is
1/60 (As an aside - this isn't documented what it's supposd to be - I just
assumed that 1.0 = 1.0 seconds), and my gravity is 98.10 (otherwise objects
just seem to soar)

Does anyone have any ideas where I might start looking to solve these
issues?