[ODE] python bindings?

Paul Rudin paul.rudin at ntlworld.com
Fri May 16 23:54:02 2003

"Sean R. Lynch" <seanl@chaosring.org> writes:

> On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 22:39, Paul Rudin wrote:
> > OK, well - I might have a go at writing some wrappers using boost
> > python (http://www.boost.org/libs/python) myself - I'm just loath to
> > re-invent the wheel if someone has already done it.
> >
> > Soya looks interesting - I might have to have a little play with
> > that. Thanks for the link. I've been expermenting with the python
> > interface for ogre (http://ogre.sourceforge.net) as a way of doing 3d
> > rendering from python.
>
> Boost Python looks interesting. I'll have to check that out. The Soya
> team likes very high level interfaces, so they tend to build them by
> hand.
>
> OGRE doesn't seem to have released a Python interface since February
> 2002. Does the one in CVS actually work? Given how little mention Python
> gets on their site, it doesn't seem like Python is a very high priority
> to them. If it is, I may give OGRE a closer look.

The Ogre python interface in cvs does work (but I gather that it's
tricky to build under windows at least with older vc++ versions -
linux/gcc is fine), although it covers a somewhat limited subset of
the api at the moment. But adding stuff is not too hard. I've made a
few additions myself (enough to replicate the C++ Ogre tutorials
purely in python) and emailed my stuff back to the Ogre developers, so
hopefully that will find it way into cvs soon.

If you do have a play I'd recommend using the cvs stuff rather than
the released downloads.