[ODE] re: hw

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Sun May 11 19:55:01 2003

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 06:38 PM, Billy Zelsnack wrote:
> I doubt it will happen. Games are the only thing that drives these
> types of
> markets. 1Ghz of cpu power dedicated to physics is plenty of power for
> most
> anything you would want to do in a game for today. By the time game
> developers figure out how to use that up, there will be 3Ghz of cpu
> laying
> around idling.

Perhaps. Though "anything you would want to do in a game for today"
seems to be largely a function of what today's hw is capable of. For
example, 3d games were relatively rare before modern graphics cards.
Today it seems most make heavy use of 3d. I can see the same being true
of dynamics. (I can even see next generation desktops involving
dynamics and rendering 3d widgets as real 3d objects instead of
pre-rendered images)

General purpose processors obviously aren't capable of competing with
custom logic for performance. And if it's a commodity function we there
are a number of examples were they also can't compete for
performance/price.

Cheers,
Steve
"Statically typed languages are like American sports cars.
They go fast, but only in a straight line"