[ODE] BSP And ODE?

Pierre Terdiman p.terdiman at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 8 12:34:02 2003

> I would disagree with that; since your sphere will be contained inside
some
> rooms/corridors, etc. you would probably have to traverse the tree quite a
> bit to get to it (contacts are on the inside, not on the outside, which
> would lead to quick collision detection).

(shrug) That's why I said 50.000 and not 10.000 :)
Profile it and be surprised.

Actually I just tested with a real level from a real game. The level is made
of rooms, corridors, columns, etc, about 64000 faces. I used a sphere whose
arbitrary size was about half the size of a character. In most cases it took
~38.000 cycles. That's obviously going to change, depending on the model,
sphere size, current configuration (stuck in a corner touching many faces,
etc) but overall I think, in many cases, the "dumb way" is fast enough. Now,
if you have a hundred dynamic objects to test against the mesh (instead of
simply one), that's another story.

I can test with one of your own models if you have a MAX mesh to share.

- Pierre