[ODE] BSP And ODE?

Marco Grubert mgrubert at conitec.net
Wed May 7 13:34:01 2003

Hi,
I only know the Quake 1/2 specifications- maybe they have changed things-
then just ignore my post.
The visible face list gives you ready to use polygons that can be put into
opcode, as opposed to mere BSP splitting planes that would need to be
evaluated to a mesh before they can be used for collision detection- so you
would have some severe runtime overhead. BSPs are fine for spheres of
pre-determined size, but for general collision detection, it's a headache.

One other question though: if you use leaf data from a Quake tree, how do
you deal with 0-volume meshes? I am storing the visible leaf faces in a
tricollider on a per-leaf basis. This works fine, unless there is only one
face per leaf in which case severe hacking seems to be required in order to
prevent crashes.

- Marco Grubert