[ODE] Another Tri-Collider Question

Vadim Macagon vadim_mcagon at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 15:01:02 2003

> I was having exactly the same problems (plus the more annoying one - the
> objects seemed to "fear the wireframe" - they bounced up a little on
> triangle boundaries). When I switched to double precision, they still
> remained, but became much less pronounced. Yes, Opcode still uses single
> precision, but when ODE was in double precision, it seemed to help.

Well since I really didn't want to switch to double precision I tried to
come up with
an alternative, and I just did a few minutes ago :). The penetration depth
is zero when two things are just "touching", that's the goal of collision
resolution, that zero depth was never achieved in sphere/mesh collision, it
would go very close to it like 1.48e-05 and then jump back to 0.002 or
something, I guess that's a precision issue somewhere down the line. Anyhoo
what I did was - if penetration depth goes under 1.5e-05 I say it's close
enough to "touching" and set penetration depth to zero, and voila it's now
rock stable. I don't yet know if it solves the "fear the wireframe" problem,
but hey I'm still on a high :)

Cheers,

Vadim.