[ODE] OT: virtual creatures in games

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 25 17:26:02 2003

Interesting - I guess I should classify what I'm after.

Essentially I'd want creatures for an on-line world that do unspecified
interesting things using some believable motivation, and some would be
potentially hostile.  However, gameplay would not center around them (and
there would no need for predicatble outcomes) - it's more about having
interesting, unpredicatble and potentially dangerous things to explore, all
as part of a much larger landscape.  The creatures may themselves be
randomised to some extent, depending which way I end up taking this.

The idea is that the game is not only different every time, but I also want
my own creation to suprise me.

As this is a persistent online world, it would also be fun (if feasible) to
evolve creatures over time, or at least keep them learning and experimenting
with their environments.

As for inputs, I would have things like raycasting, light sensivity (if I
can figure out a fast way), perhaps smell, memory of other creature
types/individuals (eg. a creature could learn to become hostile to player(s)
if they treat them badly, or run scared etc), and possibly things like
memory of areas that are safe (hiding under a rock) - that kind of thing.

So, can anybody recommend an AI approach that fits the bill without huge
performance/memory requirements (memory because I'd want a lot of these, and
it might eventually be a console game too)?
--
gl