[ODE] Iterative solution

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 16 20:58:01 2003

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>> > BUT: instead of relying on islands, could each constraint be
>>
>>>provisionally removed from the loop when it meets the error criteria?
>>
>>I'm a bit dubious -- the nature of iterative constraint solving
>>means that any particular constraint could have a metric truckload
>>of propogated error dumped on its head from 'upstream' at any point.
>
> True.  What about the sorting idea I floated a while back?  Sort from worst
> violator to least violator, solve them in order, and do this "provisional
> culling"?

I don't remember reading that.  It sounds reasonable, or at least of
interest for experimentation.  Given that I can't find the mail in
which you floated this, how did you propose that 'violation' be
evaluated?  Rate of convergence?

 > Hehehehehe!  I ain't 'fraida no ghosts!

I don't remember (I know there seems to be a trend in my lack of
memory) exactly what prompted me to add that to my signature, but
it has served me well. :)

--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
busting makes me feel good