[ODE] Neural Net Software?

John DeWeese deweese at ict.usc.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:17:36 2003

What kind of neural network libraries already exist out there that are
suitable for virtual creature evolution? I see that Karl Sims designed
his own software those 10 years ago, with some special purpose function
nodes and signal generators.

I've found "annie" at sourceforge which I suppose implies that it
implements ANNs, and a bunch of other half-implementations.

Found this comp.ai.neural-nets newsgroup.
FAQ here:
ftp://ftp.sas.com/pub/neural/FAQ.html

Google groups archive here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&group=comp.ai.neural-nets

... but I would appreciate any experience people have here, as a hotbed
for the specific task of creature evolution. Thanks!

Also, thought you all might want to check out these fantastic Genetic
algo/Alife/Evolution papers from Brandeis U near Boston:
http://demo.cs.brandeis.edu/papers/. They make some big statements
about the nature of neural nets encoding information, creature
evolution, techniques for genome mutation, and especially techniques
for speeding up evolution strategies and dynamics - coevolution,
symbiosis, competition, generality of strategy, etc. I have yet to go
to citeseer and cross reference these links, but it's good info none
the less.

   - John DeWeese