[ODE] Restricting ODE to 2D

John DeWeese deweese at ict.usc.edu
Tue Mar 11 12:57:02 2003

Tried the game... pretty fun! Anyway, this isn't a rigid body simulation.
You can make this on your own with simple particle collision detection and
spring dynamics against segment half spaces for the terrain. Rigid bodies in
2D would be very cool, but not necessary in this case.

[non-expert warning!]

If you wanted to do rigid bodies in 2D, I would guess you'd get about one
point seven zillion percent better performance and stability using a 2D only
solution. You could mimic the ODE API and simplify it a bit if you wanted to
give it a go, though the math would be tough. Some of the mathematical
methods would probably carry over with some heavy modification, but someone
with knows would have to jump in here. I'd be very interested in this, might
even contribute.

2D is highly underrated. You can do really cool things with it, and
interaction techniques for 2D are more accessible and fit better to the
current sit-in-front-of-flat-screen modality that we currently have for TVs
and computers. It is STILL fun to play Zelda 3, and Klonoa 2 was basically a
2D platformer adorned with 3D graphics.