[ODE] Re: plane class with half space aabb

Tim Schmidt tisch at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Jun 30 09:07:02 2003

Erwin de Vries wrote:
> Looks interesting. Instead of adding an int to every plane i would use the
> available gflags member in dxgeom though. There are lots of unused bits in
> there, that can be used for these purposes.
> I would like to define a new rule in ODE that says a geometry implementation
> may use every bit above 0xffff. The geomtransform class would also benefit
> from this. It would save 8 bytes there.

That's a good point. I should have used only 1 byte for it and not a
whole integer.
Surely, using the gflags would work, too. But because of the fact that
these bits do not only regard planes but are attributes of dxGeoms in
general, wouldn't that be a misuse of such flags? I mean, shouldn't
these bits used for properties of dxGeoms only?
Besides, either you accept that the same flags have different meanings
in different geom classes, or if you assign them exclusively, you may
eventually run out of bits.

-Tim