[ODE] unstable objects

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Jun 24 17:34:01 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Todd Wasson wrote:

> I'm having some issues with object instability in a program I'm working
> on, using ODE.

There's a little bit of information about this in the user guide, but it's
"just notes for now."

http://opende.sourceforge.net/ode-latest-userguide.html#ref85

I just added a page to the Wiki FAQ, too:

http://q12.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MakingStableSimulations

And as regards your particular situation, can you replace the 'large box'
you're using for a ground, with a plane?  That will probably clear up the
odd contact joints that you're seeing.  When two boxes rest face-to-face,
it often (always?) takes three contact joints to hold them stable.
Having contact joints in odd places sounds bad, but I'm pretty sure that
culling joints is at least as bad, if not worse.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA