[ODE] motion capture

Nate W coding at natew.com
Mon Jun 23 12:15:02 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Chris Engels wrote:

> I  am just starting to work with ODE, so this may be a stupid question:
> would it be possible to combine simple motion capture data into ODE?
> I am working with a mixed reality system and would like to add some
> simple dynamic objects. Right now, I am trying to create a proof of
> concept model of a real paddle interacting with a virtual ball. The
> paddle is updated in the system via a standard 4x4 transformation matrix
> each time step [...]

It sounds like what you want from the paddles is just collision response
(contact joints), without any other joints attaching other bodies... so,
my guess is that you should represent the paddles as geom objects rather
than as bodies-and-attached-geoms.

I'm not sure how you'd go about telling ODE what the geom's velocity is,
though, and I think that would be important for the collision constraints.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA