[ODE] ODE as a complete FPS solution..

Tim Johnson tim at helixcore.com
Wed Jun 11 18:08:02 2003

From: "Pierre Terdiman" <p.terdiman@wanadoo.fr>
> implement it directly in your camera control - that's about a dozen lines
of code

In case I came off as completely incompetent, the real problems we're having
with our own system are the more complex rigid body interactions, and with
making the collision set more "slide-friendly", stairs being the typical
example, but only a small subset of the problem.

> I tried both ways (physically-driven player or FPS-style player applying
> artificial forces on other bodies), without much success.

If neither were acceptable, where does that leave those wanting to bring
sophisticated rigid body interactions to first person games? I can't see the
point without player interaction. Let me guess, we need the Havok engine....

BTW, What were the cons of the latter method, an FPS player applying forces
to ODE bodies? I can't think of too many issues there.

Thanks,
TIm