[ODE] ODE as a complete FPS solution..

Tim Johnson tim at helixcore.com
Wed Jun 11 12:04:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anselm Hook" <anselm@hook.org>
> If you know the players occupied volume is not going to be
> inter-penetrated then you could have a low complexity hull for most
> collision during say navigation

Indeed. AABBs and spheres seem to be the choices, given what OPCODE
supports. I'm looking forward to doing some more complex "rag doll"
simulations for bodies that are not under player/AI control.

> typically I'd probably use a BSP and a well behaved collection of polygons
> first before going with a brute force solution.

That's what we get for letting the artists do whatever they want. Nothing
that ever comes out of MAX is well behaved! We've managed to cope quite well
with this ad-hoc data. I hope ODE/OPCODE can too.

Clearly I need to get in and test it. I'm just trying to feel out how viable
this type of usage is. ODE is all or nothing unless I limit the player to an
immovable input to the dynamics engine, and I really would love to have
feedback both ways.

Tim