[ODE] ODE as a complete FPS solution..

Tim Johnson tim at helixcore.com
Wed Jun 11 10:40:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin C. Martin" <martin@metahuman.org>
> As far as dynamics, it seems you don't really need ODE for the player.

Actually, I can't see how I could do without it. Even if I resign primary
player collsion response/physics to our own code, the problem is then
player/object interactions. That is, the player needs to interact with the
dynamic objects in the world, including objects which could manipulate its
position. I can't see how this could coexist with a custom system.

> As for collision, if you want to collide the player against the
> environment, the big problem is the large list of primitives in the
> environment, so you need some very efficient way of finding only the ones
> close to the player.

We have dense AABB trees for collision, which I understand OpCode supports.

Tim