[ODE] Problems with 0.039 and trimesh

Flavien Brebion f.brebion at vrcontext.com
Wed Jul 30 13:03:02 2003

First of all, i've build my MSVC6 workspace and makefiles from
scratch, so i don't know if that is a problem but the behavior
"they just head straight through the ground and fall to infinity"
makes me believe you haven't enabled the flag "dTRIMESH_ENABLED".
By default in 0.039, tri-mesh collisions are disabled.

I have no idea about the polygonal garbage, but i'd first check
if it's a problem with drawstuff or incorrect data given to
ODE/Opcode.

My experiences so far with ODE and tri-meshes are good. There is
no performance problem with large meshes (i currently use a
tri-mesh of 130000 polys for my quadtree terrain), and although
i exclusively work with OBBs, i haven't seen any problem (except
my recent "tunneling" problem, which is still here. But that's
another story). However it's important to note that in 0.039,
the tri-mesh bounding boxes are not calculated (left to infinity)
which lead to performance problems with lots of tri-mesh objects.
I did implement a better AABB calculation, although it does not
handle rotations yet. You'll probably have to do the same if
performance becomes a problem. Now my collisions usually take
less than 1 ms with one terrain (130000 polys) and about 600
boxes in the scene.

F. Brebion