[ODE] Ball-Socket-Joint with some Radius ?

James Golding jamesg at epicgames.com
Sun Jul 27 06:39:02 2003

I'm not sure there is a clean way to do this with the standard joints in ODE. Seems like what you
want is a new constraint type that just limits the distance between a point in each body (like a
slider with no angular constraint, and which changes axis every frame). That should be pretty simple
as its only 1 DOF, so would actually be faster than a ball and socket.

If you didn't want to try writing your own constraint right away, you could possibly do a vile hack
using a frictionless contact. If they two anchors get too far apart, put the contact position at the
anchor on one body and point its normal back towards the other anchor, setting the penetration to
(current distance - allowed distance). That _might_ work :)

James