[ODE] Collisions time steps & tunneling effect

Flavien Brebion f.brebion at vrcontext.com
Wed Jul 23 07:50:02 2003

This sounds interesting, but could your idea be extended to triangle
meshes ? I'm needing that functionnality not only for the heightfield,
but also for a set of other objects. How is it limited to heigthfields
and spheres only, from your code's point of view ? Do you only have
a heightmap / sphere intersection test ?

I tried reducing the time steps to 1/200th a second, but i can still
(once every 10 mins in average) fall below the ground, which proves
it's not a good solution, at least not in my situation.

Is there other alternatives, which don't involve a modification of the
current ODE implementation ?

On the ODE links page there is a few applications using ODE, they don't
seem to suffer from that. But then, i haven't seen one with high
velocities (my hovercrafts have a top velocity of 200 kmh up to
500 kmh)...

Thanks,

F. Brebion