[ODE] Quadtree space.

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 15 10:28:01 2003

Erwin de Vries wrote:
>>If so, the critical question is -- which two dimensions?  The
>>dimension along which it does not scale would ideally be the
>>'up' dimension for landscapes, sure.  But which dimension this is
>>will depend upon whether the user adopts a left-handed or right-
>>handed convention, which ODE has traditionally been agnostic
>>towards.
>
> This is something that will be fixed in future versions. I already though
> about fixing it. We simply let the user define the 2 axii, or we get them by
> extracting the largest 2 from the extents parameter from the constructor
> (which i think this is the best).

When I first read that I thought 'oh yeah!  that's cute, that'll
be the best solution!'.  But now I don't think so... I think that
it's best if the user explicitly specifies their favoured
two axes.  This is because it's quite possible for the working
volume to be (for example) taller than it is wide, but be very
sparsely populated across the vertical axis.

Regards,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3