[ODE] crash prevention?

ray@his.atr.co.jp ray at his.atr.co.jp
Mon Jul 14 19:59:02 2003

ODE:

I am evolving "virtual creatures".  You can see my implementation
under MathEngine:

http://www.his.atr.co.jp/~ray/VirtualLife/

I am porting to ODE, and want to ask advice on a certain problem.
Under MathEngine, some creatures explode, but these explosions
do not crash the software.  Under ODE, the software frequently
crashes, always in exactly the same place (see below).  I need
to be able to "handle" this error so as to prevent the crash,
so that I can generate and select large numbers of creatures
in a genetic algorithm.

Any advice on how to catch and handle this error before the crash?

----

NTDLL! 77f51c96()
NTDLL! 77f7e265()
MSVCRTD! 1021700f()
VIRTUALLIFE! dMessage + 84 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dMessage + 64 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dNormalize4 + 194 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dInternalStepIsland_x1(struct dxWorld *,struct dxBody * const *,int,struct dxJoint * const *,int,float) + 5681 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dInternalStepIsland_x2(struct dxWorld *,struct dxBody * const *,int,struct dxJoint * const *,int,float) + 6332 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dInternalStepIsland(struct dxWorld *,struct dxBody * const *,int,struct dxJoint * const *,int,float) + 32 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dWorldStep + 753 bytes
VIRTUALLIFE! dWorldStep + 88 bytes
CreatureTick(RRender * 0x00328de8) line 557 + 19 bytes