[ODE] Atmosphere friction?

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Mon Jul 7 04:58:03 2003

I think that it is the right way. The best way to simulate aerodynamic drag is
to apply a force to your body that is perpendicular to it's speed vector. You
can do better but that is very very hard. You have to calculate the drag
caused by the shape and size of an object and it's angle of attack. It is
possible, but you will probably need a super-computer to calculate it. And
the effect of all that calculating is that you slightly change the direction
and magnitude of the drag-force.

Here is the formula (from my glider theory book :-) ):
drag = 1/2 * (air density) * (speed*speed) * (greatest frontal surface)