[ODE] Stack overflow

Nate W coding at natew.com
Thu Jan 30 22:51:01 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Chris Brodie wrote:

> I hope your right. MSVC7 for example has some rather obtuse looking
> stack configuration settings.

The one you want is Linker/System/Stack Reserve Size.  I run 8,000,000
(without the commas) in Juice.  I think the most complex scene I've done
with Juice was an eight-legged critter that has three hinges per leg, and
potentially three contact joints on each foot.

> There has to be a more scalable \ stable way to do this.

I bet it works fine on Linux, and any other OS that grows the stack on
demand.

> Sadly I'm only starting to look at ODE so can't comment on the
> viability. I can say that I can't imagine any shipping product that
> just excepts when the going gets tough, I can accept bogging down but
> not exceptions.

Question for the others on the list:

If dWorldStep overflows the stack, is there anything that can be done to
make the next step work with less stack?  Like turn off half the bodies
and take a step, then toggle the enable/disable states of all bodies and
take another step?  I'm sure that would have some glaring side-effects,
but probably not as glaring as halting the simulation until the linker
gets run again. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA