[ODE] File formats

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Jan 28 03:42:02 2003

Should the 'one true physics file format' include rendering-related
information like mesh data?

Or should each object include a reference to rendering data stored in
another file?  Elsewhere in the same file?

Or should objects just have unique identifiers so that the application can
apply mesh to bodies using information from multiple files?

--

What about collision data?  The above questions apply here too.

--

Juice used primitives shapes so I just set up an enum for each shape type,
and some float parameters for dimensions.  Should support for such

--

Which axis is up?  Which is left-right and which is front-back?  Should we
adopt the OpenGL axes?  D3D axes?  Invent our own?  In Juice, +Z is up, +Y

--

What about motorization?  Should the file format include that sort of
information?

In the ODE paradigm, motors are basically properties of joints.  I
personally hope to eventually see motors have their own axes and
orientations, independent of any joints.

Should the file format treat motor parameters as just joint parameteres,
or should motor paramters (including orientation) be decoupled from joint
parameters?

--

What about higher-level behaviors, like mapping keyboard and joystick I/O
to motors and gaits?  Should the file format deal with such things, or

--

What else should be asked and answered?

--

Nate Waddoups