[ODE] MM games (was "looks like i am moving on")

Sean Cullen Sean at Blackscreen.org
Thu Jan 23 05:54:02 2003

>Who holds the "truth" about the objects, the server or one of the
clients
>(depending on which object)? (basically, is it peer-to-peer or client
>server)

It is peer-to-peer.  The client that creates the object updates the
network state.  Everybody knows by an identifier how to simulate the
object and puts a copy in their local simulation and syncs it to the
network state as updates are received.

>How do user interactions change the network state of the objects? If I
>drive my car into a pile of boxes, what is propagated to the server,
and
>what is in turn propagated to the clients?

Your local vehicle is sending out its current state.  As it collides
with the remote boxes both computers compute the entire solution but the
remotes are synced to the owners solution in case of differences.
Network delay often results in minor differences between solutions.
This is better than having a single network server doing a single
solution because this is a worst case scenario, most of the time objects
are only interacting with static geometry and only seen by the local
host and maybe one other player.

Its not really a game.  Its training software and will be hooked into
virtual environment.  (IE. Body Tracking system and VR Goggles).