[ODE] Spaces and scene graphs.

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 4 00:42:02 2003

I've been looking at how best to integrate ODE into my quadtree-based scene
graph.  In effect, each of my quadtree nodes are spaces, so I could just
have a space for each quad node.  It ocurrs to me though that there's more
work going on in ODE than I'd like, assuming I understand spaces correctly.

Spaces aren't placeable, so presumably they keep an internal AABB of any
geoms included in them.  This means that ODE has to update this AABB as
objects change/are added or removed.

What I'd really like is spaces with user-defineable fixed AABB's that are
never recomputed.  I would then use these for the quadtree nodes, and use
traditional tight spaces around clustered subgroups in the deepest nodes.

Is this the best approach?  I notice Erwin is doing something similar from
the archive messages, but without having closely studied the ODE internals,
I find those discussions a little hard to follow at times... (guess it's
time to dive into the source).
--
gl