[ODE] Constraint theorizing

Antonio_Martini@scee.net Antonio_Martini at scee.net
Wed Feb 26 03:24:01 2003

>2.  Nothing is ever new.  I saw this exact thing being done with point
masses
>"simulating" rigid bodies
there are already out there engines that use relaxation methods based
methods:

see the free physics engines supplied by oxford dynamics:
http://www.oxforddynamics.co.uk

relaxation is at positional level. This is very similar to what described
in a paper
presented at eurograph a couple of years ago("a procedural approach to
solving constraints...", j. Won Lee, eurographics 2000 )

The first time i came across the idea of this kind of solution was while
reading the Havok documentation a long time ago.

Also Xavier Provot used relaxation for cloth simulation a few years ago.

however when we work by altering directly positions  forces are not
directly computed and this may cause
problems, especially in the friction computation, but it may still be
acceptable.

in the the method implemented by Sergio,  error correction is used instead.
this implies that recovering forces
are effectively computed. So it's physically more consistent(realistic) and
i think fits better in the ODE framework.
For example it would work in conjunction with the Featherstone's method
where multibodies are
parametrized in state-space and we cannot direcly displace objects
around(imagine a chain colliding against the floor).
As usual the best solution is application dependent as i found that a
combination of different methods worked best for me.

cheers,
Antonio

"Gary R. Van Sickle" <g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.net>@q12.org on 26/02/2003
03:34:17

Sent by:    ode-admin@q12.org

To:    <ode@q12.org>
cc:
Subject:    RE: [ODE] Constraint theorizing

1.  Ok, you're BOTH Gods!
2.  Nothing is ever new.  I saw this exact thing being done with point
masses
"simulating" rigid bodies
(http://www.ioi.dk/Homepages/thomasj/publications/gdc2001.htm) and it
floated
around in my head for weeks without me seeing a direct connection to "real"
rigid body simulation.  And I'm sure this guy got it from somebody else
too.  We
all add our parts to the sum of the whole... or words to that effect ;-).
3.  Nothing is ever easy.  But you guys got it done.  Again, GODS!  GODS I
SAY!
;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle