[ODE] Dynamic mesh collision

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Feb 18 12:32:02 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Amund [ISO-8859-1] Børsand wrote:

> Yes, I know, this is a fair "shortcut" for on-road and high-speed car
> simlations, but it behaves quite unrealistic when crawling over sharp
> rocks with near-flat tires. Would be fun to try to implement it,
> though, even if it would be slow (we'd just make it optional). I've
> never seen that being done before.

Maybe you could do something with the tire-ground contact joints... like
get rid of them, and instead just create an upward force on the car, where
the force is proportional to the penetration depth, or something like
that... Maybe have separate 'tire' and 'wheel' cylinders, and create
regular contact joints for the wheel-ground collision, but fake it for the
tire-ground collisions.

Just an idea.

--

Nate Waddoups