[ODE] Suggestion for List admin

whitt013 whitt013 at bama.ua.edu
Thu Feb 13 11:43:02 2003

Well, I'll second that.  I'm on a mailing list at college that's designed to
hook co-ops up who are working on opposite terms and need someone to sublease
their apartment for a few months, buy their football tickets, and that kind of
stuff.  For those kind of lists, where most replies would involve something
the whole list doesn't really care about, the reply should be set to the
sender and not the list.

On the other hand, the ODE mailing list is designed as a discussion list, and
most of the replies should go to the list.  Even if most of the people on the
list don't care about this particular reply, the archives + google make an
invaluable reference for future work.  So it is my opinion that for this list,
replies should be set to automatically be sent to the list.

Another reason why replies should go to the list:  We're all developers.
"Netiquette" states that replies should automatically go to the sender and not
the list because there are a good portion of lists like the first one I
mentioned, and the average web user may not know that it is polite or even how
to change the To line so it will go back to the sender, or even where to
locate the sender's address.  As programmers, I would assume we are all
well-versed in the workings and social aspects of the internet, so leaving it
up to the user the task of discerning which emails should go to the list and
which should go to the sender is not as big of a deal.  So the default
reply-to address is now more a matter of convenience than of trying to force
the end users to Do The Right Thing.  And since a good majority of the
correspondence on this list is useful information for the list as a whole, it
would be more convenient for the reply-to address to be to the list.

Just my two cents,
David