[ODE] Rolling ball bouncing problem

Olivier Michel Olivier.Michel at cyberbotics.com
Mon Feb 10 04:59:01 2003

Hi,

It seems after many trials, that ODE has problems handling a rolling
ball bouncing over a box.
I have set up a pool-like environment with a ball rolling over the
ground nicely.
However, when the ball hits the surrounding wall, it doesn't bounce as
expected. Rather, it follows the wall...

This problem can be seen on the test_boxstack example. Drop some boxes,
then drop some spheres, with some patience, you will see a sphere
rolling towards a box, hit the box, follow the box edge until the box
corner and even move around the box... which doesn't look natural at all...

I tryed to make the static friction very low, then the bounce behavior
is more natural, however, the ball doesn't roll, but it slides... Maybe
the solution is a fine tunning the of the static / kinetic friction
parameters...

Any hint to work around this problem ?

-Olivier