[ODE] Approximating the shape of a body with several geoms

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Wed Feb 5 12:21:01 2003

Hi,

I have a question about how to group several geom objects together to
approximate the actual shape of a body. Somehow I feel this is a FAQ, but I
couldn't find it anywhere.
So what I want to do is as follows, I want to simulate a body that has a
different shape than one of the ODE geom objects, that's why I'd like to
approximate its shape with a collection of several geoms that shall act as
one single geom. Then I'd like to attach the collection to a body so that
the whole collection is used for collision detection.
The question is, where is that "group geom" that holds the individual geoms
together? The geometry group class is deprecated and replaced by spaces
which are geoms now, however they are non-placeable geoms, so I can't
attach a space to a body. And there's no other geom that can be used as a
container.

Well, so far I have my geoms, each with a transform geom, but what do I do
now? Can I attach several geoms to one body? (Well, of course I tried, but
got a crash, that's why I'm afraid this is not the way to go and why I
posted this mail).

Would it be possible to make spaces placeable, too? The position and
orientation of all geoms inside a space would then be given relative to the
space (like a transform geom that can handle several geoms). Then I could
just place my geoms into a space and attach that space to a body.

- Matthias -