[ODE] Contrib modules

Aras Pranckevicius nearaz at interamotion.com
Sat Dec 27 21:46:03 MST 2003

> 1. TerrainAndCone
> Is there any reason why I should use Terrain module when there
> exists TriMesh implementation?

Several reasons (I'm just speculating - never used/examined terrain contrib)
might be:

1. Efficiency. Terrain (heightfield) is more specialized case of triangle
mesh; hence, you can do collision more efficiently (eg. for tri-mesh, you
have to go down the AABB tree to reach colliding triangles; while for
heightfield, you can get them nearly straight).

2. Solid-ness. (currently) Tri-meshes are just that - polygon soups. They
have no interior, no adjacency information, just a bunch of triangles.
Terrain, on the other hand, has implicit adjacency; and a "inside"
and "outside" parts (so, anything deeply beneath it's surface is colliding;
while with tri-meshes, it wouldn't be).

3. Exactness (partly from 2nd point) - finding collision depth/point/normal
from just triangle soup is very very hard. Current ODE's implementation for
TriMesh is just an approximation; while terrain implicitly has some extra
useful info (adjacency and "inside-outside").

Aras Pranckevicius aka NeARAZ
http://www.gim.ktu.lt/nesnausk/nearaz/