[ODE] Rotation Matrix Error Correction

Manohar B.S sciphilog at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 20:53:14 MST 2003

Hello,

 Some time back I came across the problem of 'finite
register length effect' in rotation matrices. It
happens when we use rotation matix recursively.

 Finally I could get a solution to bring Rot matrix
back to track using the following eqn. I donno if it's
worse than what Martin CM told.

 N = M / sqrt(Mt*M).............. eqn1

 N is the least-sq closest rot matrix without errors.
 M is the rot mat with errors. (non-orthonormal)
 Mt is transpose of M.

 Square root is found from cholesky demoposition.
 Mt * M forms a symmetric and +ve defnite.
 Please refer 'Numerical recipes in c' book for the.
 algorithm

 eqn1 make gives N which is orthonormal.

 Hope you ppl find it useful.

 --Manohar