[ODE] Re: ode/opcode heavy objects

jan@rpgfan.demon.co.uk jan at rpgfan.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 31 12:43:02 2003

> 2) As much as possible, use ODE primitives instead of trimeshes. This is
> because a trimesh is "hollow", meaning that collisions only take place
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turns out, I put the MAX_CONTACTS to too low a number. I put it up to 50 and now collision rarely goes wrong.

It does still mess up occasionally. I'll put it down to 'problems with opcode' that someone mentioned.

> plane..
> error (i.e. to eliminate the collision or the penetration), but your
> gravity is so high (and/or your object mass is so high), so that the
> force generated by gravity (F = m a) overpowers the force generated by
> the ERP, so your object continues to infinitely fall down.
This must be what was happening

> This comment I find interesting since here, you are talking about modifyi=
> ng
> the size, not the mass, of the object. I would think that a larger sized =
> object
Sorry I wasn't being clear. I calculate the mass using DENSITY * dimension. Therefore big objects become very heavy. If I scale my dimensions by 100, the object will be 100^3 times heavier.

Thanks!
--
Jan