[ODE] Extracting terrain data from Demeter

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Aug 15 01:26:01 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> It refers to an example of how to extract Demeter terrain data, but
> unfortunately gives no hint as to where that example can be found. I'd
> rather avoid downloading the whole archive if someone happens to know
> which month/year/thread to look for.

http://q12.org/pipermail/ode/2003-January/002687.html

Google searches the ODE mailing list really well if you put "site:q12.org"
in the search string.  I found that post with this query:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aq12.org+demeter+nate&btnG=Google+Search

Of course, I had the added advantage of knowing who wrote that post, and
that made it a little easier to track down. :-)

> Also, if someone has experience with this and think it is a stupid
> idea or combination of tools to use, please let me know that before I
> invest a lot of time in something that will fail. :)

I'm using ODE and Demeter in my project, they work pretty well together.
However, I think I got the diagonals wrong in the code I'm using (and thus
in the sample code).  Like, Demeter turns squares into two triangles by
putting a diagonal edge, and I've got the diagonal going between the wrong
vertices.  At least I think that's the problem.... In sharp valleys it's
sometimes clear that what's rendered isn't quite what's being collided.
Most of the time it works great though, so I've been able to put off
fixing this for a very long time. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA