[ODE] Newbie: integrating ODE with other graphics toolkits

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Mon Aug 11 00:40:02 2003

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a totally brainddead question to ask, but the whole
world of ODE and simulation is still new to me.

I plan on using ODE for some trivial test game, just to see how it all
works out. The biggest unclear part right now is how to tie the ODE world
to a scene graph to visualize what happens in that world. I've used Open
Scene Graph (http://openscenegraph.sourceforge.net/) in the past and like
it as a 3D scene graph. Now, representing ODE data in that world is a bit
unclear to me.

Am I basically forced to represent all geometric data twice, once for ODE
to simulate in and once for the scene graph to render. Both of course use
totally different formats. Assume a little map with a few objects and a
player controlled thing, I probably have to represent the map geometry,
the object and actorse in both ODE and the chosen 3D toolkit (OSG in this
case)?

Any good sample app that I could have a look at and learn from? Or some
RTFM resources?

Thanks in advance,
    Jan Ekholm

--
         In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
                                        -- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies