[ODE] problem with adding forces

Adam Paul Coates acoates at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 6 16:09:02 2003

Clarification (and this is of general importance when dealing with any
graphics/physics stuff):  you can use whatever units you'd like as long as
you're consistent.  A Newton is the SI unit for kg*m/s/s, so if you're
using meters/kilograms, etc. for your units, then this works fine.  On the
other hand, I'm an aviation guy, so I tend to have data in slugs/pounds:
1 Pound = 1 slug*ft/s/s.  Similarly, you can use any coordinate frame
you'd like.  In my worlds I use North-East-Down as my x/y/z axes (again,
aeronautics) but you can just as well choose whatever is easiest for you
to work with.  All ODE sees is numbers and the basic relationships that
Martin and Cyril pointed out.  F = ma is true no matter what unit standard
you use or coordinate frame.

I don't think that will help your specific problem, but I hope it helps
point your mind in the right direction :)

Best,
Adam C.