[ODE] Tank simulation how?

Csáki Péter PCsaki at grepton.hu
Mon Aug 4 04:42:01 2003

Thanks for the tip.

The details are: I have a box as the chassis and spheres as wheels. 3 wheels on both side. The proportions are like a normal vehicle's (slightly bigger wheels though). The joints between the wheels and body are hinge2 joints. They are locked by histop and lostop = 0.
The ground is a trianglemesh. I have friction between the wheels and the ground and I drive the wheels by setting the hinge2's speed.

What exactly happens is when I have a higher friction (contactmu) than the power of the wheels then the vehicle stays still (or moving very slowly forward or backward)
When I have a smaller friction than the power of the wheels than the vehicle starts to spin a bit but in a very erratic way. (Sometimes it even stops.)

Csakip

	Csáki Péter wrote:

	>Hello ODE people,
	>
	>I'm using ode for my vehicle physics but now I need help from you.
	>I was thinking that a series of wheels would produce the needed effect (they are not rendered in 3d). I wanted to set the wheel's speed differently for both sides. For example the left wheels rotate forward and the right wheels rotate backward. I thought it would rotate the vehicle.

	I think the same and on my 2-wheel robot (with an additional not driven
	ball to keep balance) that's also exactly what happens.

	>But it is not working as I expected.

	You should provide some more information what happens so we might know
	what the actual problem is (Did you specify friction between wheels and
	ground?)

	An alternative which is also much faster would be not to use several
	wheels (using more than 4 wouldn't be of any use anyway I think) but to
	use two boxes (one on each side) and specify a surface velocity in the
	box-ground-contact...