[ODE] interpolating between physics frames to get the actual positions in the render time

juhani honkala juhnu at all-m.com
Wed Apr 16 22:15:02 2003

thanks for your replies..

I'm using 100 hz physics coz it's used in the multiplayer client/server so I
need deterministic results of the physics across
different clients(and in the server as well). This efficiently means that I
can't lock the physics rate to an integer multiply of
the screen refresh rate until I force the screen refresh rate(or frame rate)
being 50 hz flat or some other meaningful value
the every client can maintain. It's really the thing I don't want to do (not
100% about that anymore tho;) Without need for
the exact synchronization between the server and client would I definitely
adjust the physics step to an integer multiply of
the actual frame rate.. or even using variable physics timestep but in this
case it's no-go i think.

the idea of extrapolating instead on interpolating between the frames was
kinda nice..would keep the lag smaller.

Have to think about it.

juhani