[ODE] Re: Vehicle Gears/DriveDrain/Engine techniques.

Ruud van Gaal ruud at marketgraph.nl
Wed Apr 16 01:43:35 2003

>> Has anyone had any luck simulating gears using real torque curves?
> -jeff

> I've never found any good data to generate a real torque-curve, so in
my game I use a simulated
> curve based on a sin function, it worked ok for my purposes, but
probably isn't suitable for a
> simulation style game.

Most cars from Racer (www.racer.nl) have pretty good torque curves for
the engine. Some I think even generated by engine simulation software.

I'd use the engine torque in a simple sim as an acceleration factor.
Then add drag/resistance and you'll end up at the max speed
automagically.
In Racer I do it in a much more complex way though, with a real
drivetrain and gearing (and diff etc).

Ruud