[ODE] Virtual Creature Sample Code here

Rob Leclerc leclerc at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue Apr 15 16:01:43 2003

I am attaching a link for a zip file which contains files for ODE, to
compile and run a program that evolves the neural network of a virtual
creature to walk. He is essentially a 4-legged dog like figure.
Individuals are saved every generation so you can terminate it early and
load up one that you like. Make sure to read the README file. For good
entertainment, it will be enough to simply compile and run with no
arguments and watch the little guys evolve. Remember to close the window
to speed up the evolution.

I think I fixed all the bugs in this one. (Memory leak, and problems
reloading saved individuals). It has some decent documentation and
should be good for anyone who wants to get a quick handle on VC
simulations. I purposely tried to keep it simple so it doesn't have all
the bells and whistles. As well, you will have to set a new random seed
if you want to run it again to produce different results.

If anyone is interested, I will probably have a version available with
more thorough documentation here in a little bit. I am doing this as a
small project for a class I have and am documenting it so some of our
graphics people can use it later for animation purposes.

Link at: www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~leclerc/VirtualCreat_v1.0.zip*

*This was programmed in VC6 and has not been tested on other platforms.

Rob Leclerc
University of Calgary
Department of Computer Science
Office: ICT 728